Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP Tech Support
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

HP Tech Support or SHOULD I say NON- Support. I had gotten a error on my HP Pavillion Entertainment PC, call into HP support to get this error resolved. Going by Caller-ID, I was refused support. THAT was ONLY said AFTER I told HP what the error
message was, and the support rep replied in a VERY disrespectful fashion. :| NOW this problem was a NOTHING problem so to say. Something I doubt anyone would think of. FOR some reason this laptop changes the drive to the USB port when a thumb drive is inserted. NOW I checked even before I called HP Support and the BIOS shows my C drive as the primary drive, and DOESN'T show the thumb drive as controlling drive in this laptop. I've been dealing with computers since the days of DOS. BUT I can recreate this problem, and same error over, and over again by putting in a PNY 2 gig thumbdrive into the USB port. To correct this problem I had to hold down the power button for appr 2 minutes with nothing in the USB port(s). Now I am curious has anyone else ran into this problem with their HP laptops?

Post subject: Re: HP Tech Support
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Mike_Holli wrote:
HP Tech Support or SHOULD I say NON- Support. I had gotten a error on my HP Pavillion Entertainment PC, call into HP support to get this error resolved. Going by Caller-ID, I was refused support. THAT was ONLY said AFTER I told HP what the error
message was, and the support rep replied in a VERY disrespectful fashion. :| NOW this problem was a NOTHING problem so to say. Something I doubt anyone would think of. FOR some reason this laptop changes the drive to the USB port when a thumb drive is inserted. NOW I checked even before I called HP Support and the BIOS shows my C drive as the primary drive, and DOESN'T show the thumb drive as controlling drive in this laptop. I've been dealing with computers since the days of DOS. BUT I can recreate this problem, and same error over, and over again by putting in a PNY 2 gig thumbdrive into the USB port. To correct this problem I had to hold down the power button for appr 2 minutes with nothing in the USB port(s). Now I am curious has anyone else ran into this problem with their HP laptops?

Never had an HP laptop, because the support is so sucky. Maybe the OS is screwing with you? Also, make sure in the boot order part of your Bios that the USB entry is below the CD/DVD drive and HDD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
been using my H.P. for about 4 and a half years and have had no problems with usb drives. i have several different kinds, all of them are formatted fat 32 and the O.S. is win XP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:59 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

noghiri_x wrote:
Mike_Holli wrote:

Never had an HP laptop, because the support is so sucky. Maybe the OS is screwing with you? Also, make sure in the boot order part of your Bios that the USB entry is below the CD/DVD drive and HDD.

Right, I verified that the boot order was correct.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have a computer that does this, only because I have it set to try booting from USB first. What does your BIOS say when you have the USB drive plugged in? If it isn't changing there, it might just be one of life's weird mysteries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The boot order was checked with, and without the thumb drive being in the USB port.
As I said the order DOES change with the thumb drive in the USB port. WEIRDEST thing I ever seen. Another funny thing, and NOT a ha ha funny thing. Used the Windows 7 problem recorder and my digital camera/camcorder to re-created this occurance and placed it on HP's Message board showing the problem, and explaining how to correct and NOT even 24 hours later the message/fix VANISHED off their board. :?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:36 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i found out this morning after 30 minutes chatting with HP Support, they won't or don't support the 8500A printer. now i have to pack it back up and ship it back to get a supported replacement. i work in a large office, thus wanting an Officejet AIO printer. i was told by the tech that the 8500A was a "small" office printer, not intended for a larger user base.

guess i had a bad luck draw in the support team today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:05 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Mike_Holli wrote:
The boot order was checked with, and without the thumb drive being in the USB port.
As I said the order DOES change with the thumb drive in the USB port. WEIRDEST thing I ever seen. Another funny thing, and NOT a ha ha funny thing. Used the Windows 7 problem recorder and my digital camera/camcorder to re-created this occurance and placed it on HP's Message board showing the problem, and explaining how to correct and NOT even 24 hours later the message/fix VANISHED off their board. :?

I know, it is weird. I think it might be the BIOS by the company that makes BIOS chips for Dell and HP. My dell laptop does this.