All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: can you kill a graphics card with static electricity
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:12 pm 

can u?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Yes. But it is not that likely. Do you have fried GPU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:28 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Do it scientifically. buy a Van de Graff generator and slowly ease your video card closer to it until you're sure it's been discharged into multiple times. Reinstall, see if it works.
Of course static can kill a video card. But, like my joke, you have to almost be trying to do it to achieve such a feat. Just make sure you always work on your rig on a metal or wooden table, and touch something metal to discharge any static you have built up on you before touching any components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:10 pm 

dabart65 wrote:

well i just got my 5850 radeon and when i opened it i slightly touched the bottom metal parts i did touch my computer desks metal before grabbing the card. since i havent ordered the rest of the part i put it back into the box till i get the rest of my parts 2 build my rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:13 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

ugotfried wrote:
dabart65 wrote:

well i just got my 5850 radeon and when i opened it i slightly touched the bottom metal parts i did touch my computer desks metal before grabbing the card. since i havent ordered the rest of the part i put it back into the box till i get the rest of my parts 2 build my rig.

you'll be fine. Just don't handle it while standing on thick carpet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:54 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

What is ithttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_sensitive_device.
A good start.

Lots of good info out there likehttp://www.siliconfareast.com/esd.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:18 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Spartacus wrote:
ugotfried wrote:
dabart65 wrote:

You will be fine. Just discharge yourself like you have been doing before handling the parts. 99.9% common sense. Just the fact that you asked and are concerned about being careful is an important start.

I have never zapped a PC part from static. Now dropping screws onto a powered up MB, that is a different (and stupid, sad) story. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

dabart65 wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
ugotfried wrote:
dabart65 wrote:

You will be fine. Just discharge yourself like you have been doing before handling the parts. 99.9% common sense. Just the fact that you asked and are concerned about being careful is an important start.

I have never zapped a PC part from static. Now dropping screws onto a powered up MB, that is a different (and stupid, sad) story. :lol:

+2 We all occasionally get hit by the "Damn I'm good and can do no wrong" syndrome. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

tugboat_2 wrote:
+2 We all occasionally get hit by the "Damn I'm good and can do no wrong" syndrome. 8)
Yep.
Case in point: had the cable guy here to do a CableCard install on my PC about 2 months ago. Somehow, pins got bent in the CC slot in my ATI DCT - couldn't insert the card.
"Not a problem", I said. "Just pull the tuner, fix the pins, and put it back in", I said. "No need to shut down", I said. :lol:
Technically, this is doable - an internal ATI DCT simply sits in an x1 slot for mounting - all electrical connections are via USB, and a floppy power connector. So, you can, technically, R&I the tuner while the system is 'live.'
Neighboring slot had a 4-port USB card in it.
I bumped the USB card when I was pulling (or installing, don't know which), partially dislodging the card. :oops:
That PCI slot is no longer functional. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

cup wrote:
tugboat_2 wrote:
Yep.
Case in point: had the cable guy here to do a CableCard install on my PC about 2 months ago. Somehow, pins got bent in the CC slot in my ATI DCT - couldn't insert the card.
"Not a problem", I said. "Just pull the tuner, fix the pins, and put it back in", I said. "No need to shut down", I said. :lol:
Technically, this is doable - an internal ATI DCT simply sits in an x1 slot for mounting - all electrical connections are via USB, and a floppy power connector. So, you can, technically, R&I the tuner while the system is 'live.'
Neighboring slot had a 4-port USB card in it.
I bumped the USB card when I was pulling (or installing, don't know which), partially dislodging the card. :oops:
That PCI slot is no longer functional. :(

I've broken a PCI port on my board that way. Dislodged a wireless card while plugging and unplugging fans to see which one was the noisy one, was later pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the wireless card wouldn't work until I tossed a good PCI video card in it and that PC stopped booting.

Post subject: Re: can you kill a graphics card with static electricity
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm 

Hi I just got a new GPU and while opening it I accidentally touched the bottom of the PCB but very lightly. I was sitting in a chair with my feet off the ground but the chair is on carped. Is it broken now. I currently have no where to test it cause I'm still waiting for half of my parts. Thanks